Re: Relay bandwidth needed to pay back Hidden Service usage

>> It may be more proper to think of it as bandwith. Server serves a
>> stream 24x7x365 at 100,000bps. User consumes it 24x7x365.
> How so?

Some people think in terms of bytes transferred [the file case].
Some people think in terms of bandwidth [the stream case]. In either
case, the solution to the math problem will be the same. I figured
it would be better to think in terms of bandwidth since that is
what is actually being configured.

> How could someone download a single 100,000 B file non-stop
> for a year?

I can't answer your question directly because it:
 - Mixes bytes and time in an ambiguous way.
  o  One file many times? - That yields the bandwidth case.
  o  One file that takes a year to download? - not very possible
 - Questions the user's motivations. They are immaterial here.

> Why should such a user be expected to "pay back" anything?

This is purely a math question. The user's motivations are immaterial.
Perhaps the user is feeling thankful or benevolent or communal :)

> Yes, both the Internet and the tor net can be modeled in this
> way. Your point is?

Bandwidth on Tor is presumably far more scarce than the commodity
internet. Thus relay pipes are more likely to be full. Thus a user
has a higher chance of actually negatively impacting the network.
For which, given a whim, the same user may wish to ensure his use
of the network is given back for others to use. Such that the result
is a zero net bandwidth change, just an overall increase in the
gross. Maybe it was to show the user's possible thoughts about
'slowness' yielding their ideas as to giving back.

Anyways, back to the math...

>> the six hop relay system
> Six?

My mistake. According to the last paragraph here:
 https://www.torproject.org/hidden-services.html.en
it is: 6 relays, 7 hops.

CLI - CSR1 - CSR2 - RP * HSR3 - HSR2 - HSR1 - HS

I should mention one more thing to assume. That there is actually
free bandwidth on the network. Such that all the users give/get the
bandwidth they want without contention. But just barely. This simply
removes the influence of others from the whole thing.

> Sorry if I'm just being dense tonight. :-]

Same here, that's why I punted the math question to you all, cuz
I'd just futz the answer the way this month's been goin so far :)