Re: browser fingerprinting - panopticlick

Thus spake coderman (coderman@xxxxxxxxx):

> EFF has an interesting tool available:
>   https://panopticlick.eff.org/
>
> technical details at
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/primer-information-theory-and-privacy
>
> an interesting look at exactly how distinguishable your default
> browser configuration may be...

FYI, Torbutton has defended against many of these anonymity set
reduction attacks for years, despite how EFFs site may make it appear
otherwise.

https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/#requirements
https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/#attacks (#6)

But I'm glad the EFF is raising attention to this detail. I just wish
they also pointed people at http://whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com/
to refresh their memories on that too.

After all, in normal operation, your history leaks one fuckload of a
lot of bits. And that's a technical term. Sensitive ones too, like
what diseases and genetic conditions you may have (via Google Health
url history, or Wikipedia url history). It's pretty annoying that the
browser makers really have no plan to do anything about that massive
privacy leak.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist