Gmail saying "cookies are turned off" but they are not

I am using my usual tor button + firefox to access a gmail account.  I have generally had no problems but lately I try to log in and get a "cookies are turned off" and that I need to turn them on.

Cookies are NOT turned off, they are set to be treated as session cookies and they get wiped whenever I shut off firefox.  Perhaps there is a setting hidden away somewhere that I can check, whether in the tor button settings or firefox?

--
Economics is not practised as a science. Rather, it is a pretentious way to covertly promote political prejudices.
- Fred Harrison