Re: polipo-tor deb/ubuntu native package

Hi,

travis+ml-tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote (17 Jan 2011 23:55:16 GMT) :

> I am unsure of whether it should be in the debian repo, since the
> dependencies aren't even in there yet.

What are the missing dependencies? (I have not had a single look at
your package yet, sorry.)

> However, I could try and see what they think.

From my (limited) experience, this is not a process that works very
well inside the Debian community. Things are changing though, but the
process is slow. What works better, as far as I know, is preparing
things really well before submission so that your proposal cannot be
rejected for obvious minor reasons: the first impression it makes is
pretty important.

> I uploaded it to debian-mentors and it checks out fine now (as of
> version 1.4)

Congrats :)

>> 2. Fill a Request For Package (RFP) bug in the Debian BTS [0] so that
>>    any Tor-friendly Debian developer is aware of your work and can
>>    decide to upload your package into Debian.

> Is this related, parallel, a superset or a subset of the
> debian-mentors RFS process?

I don't know the Debian Mentors process at all, sorry.

> I could go through that, but haven't flagged this package as needing
> sponsorship yet since the tor packages themselves aren't in the
> debian repo.

You might be confusing Debian and Ubuntu on this matter as Tor has
been part of Debian for years:

  - http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/t/tor/current/changelog
  - http://snapshot.debian.org/package/tor/

Moreover the Tor package will closely follow upstream releases during
the Debian Squeeze lifecycle, thanks to the Debian Volatile archive.

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri@xxxxxxxx>