Re: Polipo starts on bootup

andre76@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and have the Tor browser bundle installed.
>
> After Ubuntu boots up and I try to start Tor I find that Tor won't
> start.  I found that Polipo is running so I did a Pidof polipo and then
> a sudo kill xxxx (for the polipo process number).
>
> Is there any reason I should have Polipo on my machine at all and,
> secondly, is there any risk in Polipo starting at bootup?
>
> Should I just delete Polipo off my computer?

afaik polipo is some proxy.. just like privoxy it can be used to invoke TOR... i think it is a little bit smaller than privoxy
or so.. here is a small howto... http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/polipo/tor.html

i just use torify to start processes that should make use of tor... mostly cronjobs.. but that's my setup..

Dirk