[tor-talk] Postfix + Tor (Was: remailers)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:48:36 -0500, cmeclax-sazri at ixazon.dynip.com (cmeclax-sazri) said:

    cmeclax-sazri> Should we design a remailer that uses Tor in some way?

I spent a little time over the holidays working out how to get Postfix
to talk on the Tor network for both sending and receiving messages
[1][2]. It seems to work well and was easy enough. This means email
can be exchanged between hidden mailservers. I would imagine this sort
of thing to be useful for, say, NGOs and people in the field to have
a secure decentralised email infrastructure. A similar technique may
well be part of a remailer setup.

I wonder how the nym proposals would figure with this, because whilst
you can send mail to ww@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and I can reply from
there, it's hardly memorable. I think to be viable it would need the
moral equivalent of an MX lookup on a nym.

Cheers,
-w

[1] http://river.styx.org/ww/2011/12/torfix
[2] http://river.styx.org/ww/2012/01/torfixbis
--
	       William Waites <wwaites@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Visiting Researcher, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science