Re: [tor-talk] Real basic questions for linux

You have to add the Tor repository to your distributions
/etc/apt/sources.list file and then you will get the latest Tor software.
In fact your system should automatically inform you of these new versions
and ask you to update just like any other software in the main repository
of your distribution.

At least this is the case for Debian and Ubuntu based distributions.