Re: [tor-talk] Google as default search engine revisited

On Jan 10, 2012, at 5:26 PM, 5p4m@xxxxxx wrote:

> I found a thread in the archive (November 2011), but I could not
> find a satisfying answer to the questions
>
> 1. Why is Google the default search engine in the TOR browser bundle?

Because it's the default search engine in Firefox

> 2. Does TOR get money from Google
>  a) for using Google as the default search engine?

No.

>  b) in general?

Google sponsors the Google Summer of Code, and gives 500$ per student
to the mentoring organizations, and also pays some amount of money for
mentors to travel to the summit (only to cover transportation expenses).
Tor has participated in the program in the past, and probably will
again if accepted. In the past, I believe the work on Thandy was
(partially?) sponsored by Google, but that there's no current contract.

Andrew might be able to tell you more.