Re: [tor-talk] Google as default search engine revisited

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 03:45, Andrew Lewman <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I didn't invent statistics. If you're going to call me a liar, at least
> have the gonads to be direct.

Let's skip the pissing contests.

> I used my own experience from working with
> TBB users. They generally want to play the google captcha game for
> search results, not get redirected to another search engine.

How many users? Were those users made aware of privacy / results
quality trade-offs? It is already known that Google is the most
popular search engine otherwise.

> If you don't trust google, then great, you have the ability to change
> the default search engine.

Do I need to trust Google in order to use Tor Browser in its default
configuration?

> No matter which search engine we pick, some community will be unhappy
> with it.

It doesn't mean that all search engines fare equally well w.r.t. Tor
Browser users' privacy and anonymity.

> Maybe we should just pick yacy, since it is uncensorable,
> lacks centralized logging, and is peer to peer.

But can it search?

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)