Re: [tor-talk] Hi all!

Sure, please do ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: proper@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 01/22/12 04:56 AM
To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Hi all!

 > On 01/21/12 at 03:44 PM, Christopher J. Walters wrote: > > > 2. What is the best way to use a VPN with Tor to increase anonymity? > > You're not going to get better anonymity by using VPNs with Tor. > Anonymity is what Tor does very well, far better than any commercial VPN > arrangement. With VPNs, there are potentially always logs that lead back > to you. You can make the trails hard to follow, by nesting VPNs from > multiple providers and paying anonymously, but you can't eliminate them. > > You can use VPNs with Tor in two ways. You can route Tor through VPN > services. That prevents your ISP etc from seeing that you're using Tor. > Generally, VPNs are more popular than Tor, so you won't stand out as > much. Once the VPN client has connected, the VPN tunnel will be the > machine's default Internet connection, and the Tor Browser Bundle will > route through it. > > You can also route VPN services through Tor. That hides and secures your > Internet activity from Tor exit
 nodes. Although you are exposed to VPN > exit nodes, you at least get to choose them. If you're using VPNs in this > way, you'll want to pay for them anonymously (cash in the mail, Liberty > Reserve, well-laundered Bitcoin, etc). However, you can't readily do this > without using virtual machines. And you'll need to use TCP mode for the > VPNs (to route through Tor). In our experience, establishing VPN > connections through Tor is chancy, and requires much tweaking. With your permission, parts of this could be used in the torproject.org wiki. Mailing list discussion would be linked. I am going to create a new article related to Tor plus VPN. Can you agree with that? _______________________________________________ tor-talk mailing list tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk