Re: [tor-talk] Harvard student used Tor to send bomb threats, gets caught by old-fashioned policework

tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> In the spirit of Jake's 29c3 talk, I think we can decide as a community
> not to brush off high-profile attacks against people using Tor with
> arguments like "oh, it was an old Firefox vulnerability and some users
> weren't running the latest available code" or "oh, obviously universities,
> companies, and maybe ISPs retain enough data to make 'standard police
> work' enough to de-anonymize someone using Tor."

"rtfm" applies since info on torproject.org, in addition to other
sources, mentions the threats you are concerned about in regards to
identity correlation. some people will read it. some won't. it should
not take a genius to understand that signing in to any service with
identifying credentials for the purpose of net connectivity is not the
smartest of methods if your networking activity could result in you
being prosecuted. i'm not implying i'm against any steps to make the
process more user friendly. but, in this example of the alleged bomber,
it just doesn't really apply. this is someone who acted in haste without
taking the time to rtfm. as hard as you may try, you cannot protect
against that.