Re: [tor-talk] Harvard student used Tor to send bomb threats, gets caught by old-fashioned policework

Three points about this story.

First, if the student had used a VPN then the network would only have seen his VPN IP not the entry node IP.  Right?

Second, who is to say that the 'real' perp was not using a different non-University network?  The fact that the e-mail was sent from a Tor exit node and there is a log of a Tor entry node does not ipso facto indicate that the two communications are connected even if they occured at roughly the same time.  Any number of other people on other networks could have been using Tor and sent the illicit e-mail.

Third, I was under the impression that the case against Jeremy Hammond also involved correlating Tor entry node activity with Tor exit node activity on the target websites. However, having just looked at the inditement, I may be wrong as Tor is not mentioned.  Perhaps I read it in a news story rather than a court file?