Re: [tor-talk] Download Helper

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:21:31 +0000
Tempest <tempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nunostc:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am learning Tor an trying to use it more every day. One problem
> > that I have is that when I browse for videos in Youtube using Tails
> > or Tor Browser Boundle I can not view all the videos. HTML5 does
> > not fully supported for Tor Browser.
> >
> > A thing I normally do when browsing the web using Debian that does
> > no support HTML5 is install the plugin Download Helper to download
> > the videos so I can watch them offline. That works very good. I
> > would like to know if there is any risk using Download Helper?
>
> don't use a plugin. i've had success with a simple url tweak in the
> instances where youtube claims flash is required. you just need to
> place "embed" in the url at the right place.
>
> for example, if you wanted to watch
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsM10hhmIU and got the error saying
> you needed to install flash in the tor browser, you need to use
> "embed" and the video id to get it to play.  The url would be
> https://www.youtube.com/embed/AHsM10hhmIU
>
> this should allow you to watch youtube videos that claim to ned flash
> without needing to install any third party plugins.

There are some videos I can't see even this way.I think it must be
something releted to codecs. The browser is not fully supported:

https://www.youtube.com/html5

We only have HTMLVideoElement and  WebM VP8 supported. H.264, Media
Source Extensions, MSE & H.264 and MSE & WebM VP9 are not supported.
Not sure what it is, but that might explain why some videos are not
supported this way.

Thanks!