Re: [tor-talk] Signing up for checking account over Tor

Luther Blissett:
> On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 04:00 +0400, MlgAcRBC PqeVsuFl wrote:
>> Recently I began trying to use Tor for all my everyday browsing.  This is a rant about my recent experience trying to signing up for a bank account.  Not sure there is a point other than to vent.  If this is not an appropriate place, sorry.
>>
>> Last week I applied for a checking account with BB&T (a large regional bank in the US) on bbt.com.  They ask for identity verification, of course, like social security number and driver's license so there is no way to be anonymous about it.  But using Tor, I thought I will get location privacy while using their website.  (They wouldn't be able to know where I physically am using a computer to access their site.)  All went smoothly, my account was approved, I was given an account number and online banking access, and received an e-mail saying:
>>
>>   We're pleased to inform you that your new BB&T account has been opened. You'll
>>   receive your welcome package by mail within 7-10 business days.
>>
>> Today, I blithely go to the local branch to deposit some cash, but the teller says sorry, that my account was closed and that I would have to apply again in person.  Confused, and not having the necessary identification documents, I went back home and tried logging in to online banking, which had previously worked, and now my password is supposedly incorrect.  So I call BB&T customer service.  (At this point I did not suspect Tor had anything to do with the problem, because I was able to use BB&T online banking fine before.)  The customer service agent tells me that the fraud and liability department had closed my account on December 30, and asked if I had been traveling or used someone else's computer when I signed up for an account.  She explains that it happened because I had applied for an account from a computer in a location that did not match my address.  Obviously, Tor was the cause.
>>
>> So, fuck BB&T for closing my account without notifying me in any way, and fuck BB&T for not allowing me location privacy when signing up for an account on their website.  Sorry to say that I am sticking with them because I don't want to give my personal information to yet another bank, but you all should know that they suck.
>>
>> dhanlin
>
> I can't really say it, but I guess we all here share your feelings.
> There are these businesses where you just can't argue anything and
> cannot expect the myth of a competing market to help to solve out the
> noise and lack of meaning you and your thoughts on the matter are to
> them.

Appreciate your reply.  A couple days later, I realize the above post
was overreacting to a mild inconvenience and I should have expected such
trouble when using Tor, especially for a banking website that may have
received some abuse via Tor.  I complained much more politely via BB&T's
complaint line, and maybe it can be an opportunity to make someone aware
that well-meaning, privacy-concerned people use Tor too, not just bad
guys.  (I am being overly optimistic, probably.)