Re: [tor-talk] Thunderbird and Tor - question/s.

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 09:44 -0800, Bobby Brewster wrote:
> On Tue, 1/7/14, dhanlin <MlgAcRBC@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Thunderbird and Tor - question/s.
>  To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2014, 3:02 PM
>
>  Bobby Brewster:
>  > I was experimenting using Tor and Thunderbird by
>  entering 127.0.0.1: 9150 in the TB Preferences.
>  >
>  > I used my Gmail account and hence Gmail's SMTP server.
>  >
>  > I checked the headers of the message I sent to Gmail
>  and the IP was a Tor exit node.
>  >
>  > However, I am wondering whether using Tor and an e-mail
>  client is as safe as using webmail when using the TBB.
>  >
>  > My point is that I don't know to what extent the
>  message is entirely encrypted.
>  >
>  > For example, in a message send by Thunderbird there
>  exists in addition to the message body:
>  > from
>  > date/time
>  > subject
>  > cc/bcc (perhaps)
>  >
>  > To what extent is this so-called metadata also
>  encrypted?  This may be a stupid question for which the
>  answer is 'obvious' but I would like to know.
>
>  >>Are you aware of TorBirdy?
>
> Yes. I had looked at it before.  I was interested in knowing the answers to the above question if one 'manually' configures TB and Tor as I mentioned above.
>
> Also, if one wants to send HTML enabled e-mail then you cannot do that with TorBirdy.
>
> So, hence, I would still like to know the answers to my original questions.  Thanks.

If you really want that you need to take advice more seriously. Mail
headers remain unencrypted after mail is sent regardless of client mail
software / webmail interface. Those things are completely unrelated and
also a little outside Tor's scope.

--
010
001