[tor-talk] Socks port question

Hi all,
 I've been experimenting with Tor's SOCKS port using a little PHP script
 to connect to an IP and send an HTTP request and print out the
 response, closing the connection. I've notice that if I send one
 request immediately after another (so I'm terminating the script before
 rerunning it (hence with a new process ID), and closing it between the
 two connection attempts), the two responses take different amounts of
 time - usually the second is slower.
 Is this an issue with stream isolation, and can I avoid it (when I'm
 connecting to the same destination both times)? I'm using the same
 UserID in the SOCKS4 logon every time. I've tried sending a
 'Connection: Keep-alive' header but that just stops End of File ever
 being detected when reading back the response.
Regards,
Geoff