Re: [tor-talk] startpage and ixquick

On 1/14/14 4:42 PM, eliaz wrote:
Are there security issus in using ixquick https instead of startpage in
Tor 3.5 (Windows)? I'm finding startpage a bit cranky; sometimes it
complains about "too many simultaneous connection," but at those times
ixquick works fine.

No, there is no security risk. There is very small anonymity problem, in that I guess that you browsing behavior then is likely to be a little different than the average Tor user: fingerprinting. I don't think it should concern you.

Question for you: what is the cranky behavior you're experiencing?
I sometimes notice with Startpage that for certain keywords it doesn't have a lot of results. I don't remember which keywords I used, and I can't reproduce it now.

Startpage uses Google by proxy, I believe Ixquick has its own crawler.

Gerard