Re: [tor-talk] How to make TBB useable as "system Tor", as Tor, Vidalia, pluggable transports system level replacement?

Libertas:
> On 01/24/2015 11:07 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> We would like to use TBB as "system Tor". Using TBB not just as
>> integrated browser bundle, but as as Tor, Vidalia (Tor GUI), pluggable
>> transports replacement on the system level. For any application. Not
>> just the browser.
>
> I'm not sure if you already know this,

I know this.

> but I don't think the developers
> want this implemented because of anonymity issues. TB is carefully
> engineered to be undiscernible across platforms and machines, unlike
> most common network applications.

This feature wouldn't make anything worse for regular TBB users. Just
those who would like to use it as "system Tor" would be free to do so.

> Having other traffic (chat, email
> client, etc.) routed through the same Tor instance would greatly
> decrease the traffic anonymity.

That's what additional SocksPort's and stream isolation are for.

From TBB 4.5-alpha-1 and above, even using separate SocksPorts this
won't apply anymore, because of...

Tor Browser should set SOCKS username for a request based on first party
domain: