Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: Orbot v15.1.0 Alpha 1

I am having all kind of problems with this, but before I go into the details, a bit of background.

Currently, I am running (quite happily) the "latest" Orbot, which uses tor 2.6(.10?) with no issues to report.

My android device uses droidwall with heavily modified firewall script, which restricts and closely controls who accesses what (this script was inspired by the excellent Mike Perry's blog a while back).

The firewall script limits, among other things, what gets proxied by which app (the browser, for example, is restricted to ports 80 and 443, everything else gets DROPped). Orbot is also restricted to the transproxy, tor dns, tor control and tor socks ports only (this is where I have another axe to grind with tor - see below). Again, anything else gets dropped.

For good measure, I also renamed and moved the original (stock-supplied) iptables executables to a different location (they are used in the firewall script). I left "dummy" executables (c program compiled for my device, which executes a single statement "return 0;") as /system/bin/ip[6]tables for whoever tries to change my iptable chains without my knowledge and thinks it can get away with it.

I also use VPN which redirects traffic from specific apps through the VPN tunnel (it also restricts what gets passed through that tunnel as not everything is allowed) - anything else gets DROPped.

With that in mind, I am having a couple of problems with the Orbot specified in the original announcement (v15.1.0-ALPHA):

1. Orbot uses ports outside the "common" list of ports, which are, obviously, DROPped by the firewall. For example, the 15.1.0 version uses random ports on the loopback interface in both directions (say, src port 51117, dest port 53123). The previous Orbot version sticks with source or destination ports that are pre-defined (i.e. 9040, 9050, 9051 and 5400, as well as ports that are advertised in the tor config file).

2. Even if I allow Orbot to have a free reign (allow all packets going out by Orbot), the transproxy/dns doesn't work. Basically, nothing can get proxied at all. I don't have any packets that are dropped on the VPN or anywhere else.

3. Orbot simply ignores what I have specified as Socks, Transproxy and DNSPorts to be used. Example: in my configuration I specify the interface to be used explicitly, i.e. "127.0.0.1:5400" as DNS port (this was the only way I could get it to work in the "latest" stable Orbot version). I tried variations of that configuration (i.e. specify just the port number), but that didn't work either.

4. No matter what I configure in my settings, Orbot (both versions) always generates torrc file that contains "SocksPort auto", "DNSPort auto" and "TransPort auto". Why? I know that it closes the old (auto-generated) ports and re-opens different ones (as per my custom torrc) later, but that should not be the case and it should honour what I have specified in my configuration. This maybe related to the previous issue I described above. As a result of this, I cannot have, say, "DNSPort" in my custom torrc as tor refuses to run (duplicate DNSPort definitions). Ridiculous! I need to have control of all torrc settings and not have Orbot "assume" things. Modifying the torrc file in Orbot's data directory can alter some torrc settings, but not all and some are always included (like the example I've given above) no matter what.

5. There is no GeoIP database supplied with any Orbot version, which makes all GeoIP-related commands I issued in my custom torrc completely useless. I had to copy these files from my desktop tor version in order to make this work (Orbot is supposed to "come with tor", but apparently not everything is included).

I think that pretty much covers it. I managed to grab the tor executable supplied with v15.1.0-ALPHA and dump it in place with the old "stable" Orbot version and it works OK from what I can see, though both Tor versions suffer from bug #9972 I submitted nearly 3 years ago, which is still open.

Another axe to grind with tor is its inability to specify binding interface for the various ports it uses. It currently requires an IP address (<ip_address>:<port>). That format can't be used when I have VPN running or have an interface that has a dynamic IP address for example. I'd like to be able to specify, say, "DNSListenAddress tun0:7253" for example.