Re: [tor-talk] Getting started with development

jashan kamboj <jasyk42@xxxxxxxxx>:

> i am pursuing under graduation at Gndec ludhiana india. i want to
> contribute to the Tor project.
>
> can you please guide me through the process?

I'm not a Tor developer, but I read the Tor developers list. A month ago
there was a thread on this list called "Help me help you : )". It received
two responses from teor. Let me quote them.

- ----------------
> On 8 Dec 2015, at 23:12, Lain Iwakura <lainiwakura@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello guys;
> My name is Lain, I'm from Brazil. only it's not my real name. :) And I
> love it.
> I identify a lot with the Tor project, and would like a simple guideline.
> I work with programming (Pascal) in the last five years, I want to
> contribute to developing the project. but do not know where to start,
> take that language, which would be more effective my acting. ...
> something that a veteran is tired of doing I could do, and learn from
> that expedite the work.
> Anyway, give me some tips.
>
> Hey! I am learning English for that. help me to be useful. :)

Hi Lain,

Thanks for volunteering to help out with Tor.

Tor uses a few programming languages:
* The core of Tor is written in C
* Pluggable Transports are written in Python, Go, C, =E2=80=A6
* Tor Browser is written in C++, JavaScript, =E2=80=A6
* and other projects use other languages.

If you can program in C, or write documentation, there are tasks in our bug tracker marked "easy".
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=needs_information&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~easy&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=needs_information&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~easy&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority>

Volunteers can do many different tasks:
https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer <https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer>

Thanks again,

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F
- ----------------

- ----------------
> On 11 Dec 2015, at 22:47, Oskar Wendel <o.wendel@xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Volunteers can do many different tasks:
> > https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer <https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer>
>
> Hello, teor.
>
> Is there a place where one can send his patches after doing some tasks?

Tor has a bug tracker called "Trac" at:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor>

If there is an existing task for the patch, please attach it there.
(You can search for tasks using the "search" box in the top right corner.)

Patches typically go through one or more rounds of code review and revision.
If it's your first patch, a smaller task can help you to learn tor's coding style and patch submission process.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F

- --
Oskar Wendel, o.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=0x6690CC52318DB84C
Fingerprint: C8C4 B75C BB72 36FB 94B4 925C 6690 CC52 318D B84C