Re: [tor-talk] Escape NSA just to enter commercial surveillance?

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 05:58:50PM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
> To be honest, this surprises me quite a bit. Tor is for anonymisation,
> so one can escape tax paid surveillance by NSA, GCHQ & Co., which is
> useful. And then such a Tor user connects to Facebook, where one has to
> log in, making this anonymisation completely pointless? At least I don't
> get the point.

Logging in to Facebook over Tor reveals your identity, but not your
location.  Facebook still does not know if you are logging in from
Angola or Indonesia.  Also, Facebook doesn't get to learn your operating
system or your browsing history.

Privacy tools must be policy-agnostic to experience widespread adoption.
And widespread adoption is what Tor needs to guarantee better anonymity.
As you point out, it is important to remind people of the dangers of
using Facebook.  However, it should be up to the user to decide if she
wants to use Facebook or not.

Cheers,
Philipp