Re: [tor-talk] transparent tor routers

On 1/18/16, Christian StÃveken <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was talking to one of the tor developers at the Wauholland place the
> last day @32C3 about his opinion on transparent tor wlan boxes like
> anonabox or invinzbox and others.

a recurrent theme. past discussion threads:

1. "[tor-dev] design for a Tor router without anonymity compromises"
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-May/008766.html

2. "[tor-relays] Anonbox Project - Mike Perry"
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-October/005541.html

3. "[tor-relays] Anonbox Project - Roger Dingledine"
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-October/005544.html

4. "[tor-talk] Cloak Tor Router"
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-November/035436.html

> Here goes the idea:
> I can provide transparent tor wifi routers or facilitate a manufacturing
> contact for a router.
>
> The torbox would simply keep the data plan subscriber (his public ip) out
> of sight,
> thus keeping the wlan provider from liability issues caused by the internet
> users.
> Again - the focus is not to provide the user with anonymity - which we know
> can't be gained
> trough a transparent tor proxy whilst not educating / radically changing
> your internet
> behavior at the same time.

i still prefer the "Tor enforcing privacy router" approach instead.
then the router can act as a fail-safe for Tor instances running on
the client.

any other design will be misunderstood, to the detriment of (some)
users. instead of easy, why not correct? :)

best regards,