Re: [tor-talk] transparent tor routers

Am 18.01.2016 um 10:01 schrieb Christian Stöveken:
>> > - Why do you see a need for dedicated hardware? An off the shelf router
>> > running OpenWRT works just fine. Install the tor package, edit torrc and
>> > it works.
> Because that just works for it savy people. How many are there around you?

If one manages to install OpenWRT, installing Tor is just a matter of a
few clicks. If you think this is a problem, you can build images with
this package already included, no need for custom hardware.

And be careful with configuring as an exit node by default: quite some
services and web pages, e.g. freenode IRC, disallow a connection if it
comes from an exit node, even if the connection is made without Tor.

I brought this up about a year ago and people here found not much wrong
with such behaviour, so it's unlikely it'll be addressed. Still it's
very confusing for the non-experts, of course.

Markus