[tor-talk] How stream separation across multiple circuits can be implemented?

Hello.

I'm reading the FAQ (https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#MigrateApplicationStreamsAcrossCircuits) and i have trouble understanding the way how stream separation across multiple circuits can be implemented, in particular:

" If we can move streams across circuits, though, we would need to add queues at each end of the circuit, add sequence numbers so we can send and receive acknowledgements for cells, and so forth."

Why something like this (implementing TCP stack-like features in Tor itself) will be necessary?