Re: [tor-talk] Going by instructions from somebody, probably microsoft or Mozilla or both

Hi Jerry

Bad news I'm afraid. From that email you posted it looks like your computer has been hijacked by ransomware and all (or most of your files) are encrypted and will only be unlocked if you pay a ransom to the criminal gang.

This is a very common thing (search google for 'ransomeware' or whatever). It's a big problem. In the past the gangs had made technical mistakes and there were some solutions posted on the net as to how to unlock the files. Sadly the recent round of ransomware tends to be good enough such that there is no real solution other than:

(1) Paying the ransom and getting the key to unlock your files

(2) Not paying the ransom, wiping your computer and restoring from a safe backup

Even police departments have been nailed by this, and yes, they paid the ransom to the criminal game

NOTE:

***
This has nothing to do with Microsoft, Mozilla or even this mailing list (Tor).
***

You were directed to Tor because the one of the websites the criminals want you to connect (the one ending in ".onion") is only visible as a hidden service on the Tor network

All of this happened because you let malware on your computer and it was able to take over (again, not necessarily your fault depending on the attack vector ...) . This may not be the only thing you should be afraid of - as these criminals often install other software on the system including software that may be monitoring what you type (to steal passwords) or other personal info.

There are no easy answers or painless solutions if the email is real and your files are locked by ransomeware. You either need to pay the criminals or accept the lost of your files (and then wipe and rebuild your computer with a higher level of security)

Jerry McMichael <mailto:jerryvmc@xxxxxxxxx>
January 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM
Okay as you said, signed up; now can someone help with what is going on
with the following Notebook message received as my Mozilla browser was
opened, and especially is that the correct solution to getting rid of all
the .mico s that were added when this all happened to my desktop files.
xxxx.txt.micro and xxxx.pdf.micro and does micro stand for microsoft so
that microsoft is telling me the solution for all those encrypted files?

The Message:

NOT YOUR LANGUAGE? USE https://translate.google.com
What happened to your files ?
All of your files were protected by a strong encryption with RSA-4096.