Re: [tor-talk] Exit Traffic classification and discrimination

Hi Fabio:

TLDR: No, I haven't and wouldn't try this.

If I understand, you're asking "Why don't TOR operators discriminate on
traffic by passing packets to popular, acceptable sites and
discriminating against traffic headed "elsewhere" by re-routing it.

This view ignores a few fundamental facts underlying the very existence
of TOR.

1) That tools such as TOR exist specifically to enable that last 10% of
"dangerous" traffic - given that every political regime gets to decide
what they think is "Dangerous".  In Saudia Arabia, criticism of the king
is dangerous traffic. In China, discussion of the Tienanmen square
massacre is also dangerous. TOR exists specifically to facilitate this
traffic.

2) That the most objectionable traffic will probably be going to a lot
of the top-30 websites, as that's where political discussions need to be
brought to gain any sort of critical mass to bring them out of anonymous
online enclaves and translate them into real political activity.

Finally, I wonder whether you have any experience actually, in practice,
trying to differentiate traffic as "abuse" from "not abuse". If there
were any even close-to-accurate ways of doing this, I suspect ISP's
would already be doing it and even your abusive TOR traffic would get
dropped at peering connections.

In practice, it's very difficult to tell if even "clearly abusive"
traffic - say, XSS attempts or SQL injection scanners - are abuse by
some annoying hackers, or research by someone trying to assess how many
home IP cameras are vulnerable to being part of a botnet, or even an
authorized pen-tester just checking out their client's distributed offices.