Re: chaining JAP and Tor

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:03:58PM +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> Dear Paul,
>
> Thanks ever so much for spending so much time on your post. I am very new
> to all this and won't pretend that I understood all of it. But can I just
> ask you to perhaps put it like this to me:
>
> You see no advantage (increased level of anonymity) in chaining JAP and
> Tor. Is chaining them neutral (ie. no increased or decreased anonymity) or
> detrimental (with chaining them there is less anonymity conferred than if
> using just one or the other)?

Well I was raising it as a challenge: it would seem this suggestion
has problems, so what envisioned advantage are you suggesting? But if
you are a neophyte, that challenge isn't exactly fair. It may be that
there is a way to build something good out of this suggestion.

  Aside: It is in fact somewhat similar to the hierarchical or
  hydra---respectively two-headed hydra--design that has been part of
  onion routing discussions going back ten years, although I don't
  think any of that is in officially published stuff.  The advantage
  is to have Tor-like hiding of source (and in the two-headed case,
  source and destination) but traffic aggregation advantages by
  running it through larger pipes (possibly in a cascade) in the
  middle (or at one end). If you don't follow what I'm saying just
  ignore this aside.

But, on the face of it I see putting JAP after Tor as hurting (not
just neutral) because you have a more predictable exit point for your
traffic. And unless you abuse Tor, you will be worse than JAP alone
because you cannot have constant behavior clients in a relatively
persistent anonymity set. (That's in theory. I'm not sure I believe
JAP gets you that protection in practice even by itself, but I'm
trying to avoid going into a JAP vs. Tor debate on effective
protection. I'm sure the JAP team would say something quite
different.)

Bottom line: For the current systems I think it is worse not neutral
to combine them.

> Of course anonymity is just one factor - maybe speed would come into it as
> well. But just focusing on anonymity for now.

Running your system through two anonymizing systems rather than one
is not going to help your speed, or was that what you meant?

aloha,
paul