Re: low bandwidth utilization

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:27:17PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>
> > Tor clients don't trust nodes a lot that just came, also nodes that just
> > started don't know how much traffic they can handle, so it takes a while
> > to crank up.
>
> But it shouldn't take days, right?
>
> > Define crash.  Do you have core files in /var/lib/tor?
>
> Oh, that's where they've been hiding:
> -rw-------  1 debian-tor debian-tor 247013376 Dec 28  2005 core.10725
> -rw-------  1 debian-tor debian-tor 200962048 May 18 12:57 core.14185
> -rw-------  1 debian-tor debian-tor 342339584 Apr 17 14:03 core.17722
> -rw-------  1 debian-tor debian-tor 189263872 Jun 15 20:33 core.32686
> -rw-------  1 debian-tor debian-tor 260505600 Dec 27  2005 core.4377
> that's not nearly enough, though. Some of the crashes are apparently
> coreless.
>
> Can you use the coredumps for analysis? Shall I put them in a secret location,
> and send you the link off-list?

Don't give away the coredumps.  They are likely to contain your private
identity key among other things.

Please install the tor-dbg package (from the same apt repository from
where you got your binary), and install gdb.

Then 'gdb /usr/sbin/tor core.32686' and run 'bt' and send that output
our way.  Hold on to the core file for a while, there might be questions
about variable values and whatnot.

(On Jun 15 you were already running 0.1.1.21, right?)

For the older cores we would have to get the binaries and debugging
symbols to the Tor that created the dumps.  Let's wait with that until
we can see if the latest bt is useful.

Cheers,
Peter