Re: [Polipo-users] Polipo 1.0.1 Windows binary

(Andrew -- are you on polipo-users?  If so, I suggest we move there,
no need to clutter or-talk.)

> I put up the source from which I built the dmg and universal binary,

Thanks.  (For anyone listening and who's not familiar with Apple's
marketing talk, a « Universal binary » is what us mere mortals call
a fat binary or a multiarch binary.  It's merely a binary that
contains the object code for multiple architectures.  In Apple's case,
it's PPC and x86.)

> +UNIVERSAL = -O -g -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc
> +LDFLAGS = -Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
> +CFLAGS = $(MD5INCLUDES) $(CDEBUGFLAGS) $(DEFINES) $(EXTRA_DEFINES) $(UNIVERSAL)

I'd just replace this hunk with

  PLATFORM_DEFINES=-sysroot ... -arch i386 -arch ppc

This way, you can still say something like

  make CDEBUGFLAGS='-O0 -g'

and get the expected result.

I'm following the X11 makefile conventions (with a few additions from
GNU), and the idea is that:

 - CDEBUGFLAGS should have a reasonable default value, but it can be
   changed by the user;
 - PLATFORM_DEFINES is reserved for platform-dependent stuff;
 - EXTRA_DEFINES is reserved for the user -- it should never be set in
   the makefile;
 - all other variables are internal to the makefile and should not be
   changed by the user.

> -       md5import.c md5.c ftsimport.c fts_compat.c socks.c mingw.c
> +       md5import.c md5.c ftsimport.c fts_compat.c socks.c

That's not necessary -- there's an « #ifdef MINGW » around mingw.c.

> +proxyAddress = "127.0.0.1"    # IPv4 only

That's already the default.

> +allowedClients = "127.0.0.1"

That's not necessary if you set proxyAddress.

> +socksParentProxy = "localhost:9050"
> +socksProxyType = socks5

Hmm... I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to have this enabled by
default -- after all, Polipo is useful without tor.  If you do so, may
I kindly request that you should put a prominent notice in the README
file about that?

> + chunkHighMark = 50331648
> + objectHighMark = 16384

I guess that if you're running Mac OS X, fifty megs is small change ;-)

Thanks again for your work,

                                        Juliusz