Re: Next news from Germany

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 06:22:48PM +0300, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>
>> It seems that way. I run more than one node in Germany and I don't have
>
> Which Bundesland? Don't try this in Bavaria...

As I understand it, Frankfurt and Berlin are nice places to run a server
or two.

>> a problem. It's a sad state of affairs that people are being forced to
>> shut down their nodes. I'm sorry the police are questioning you, I do
>> hope that they'll eventually understand that they have nothing to gain
>> by doing this.
>
> Of course they have plenty to win. No Tor exit nodes in Germany -- no problem.

They can't win that battle. Tor is already adapting to stop blocking and
this has an added benefit, it makes a great deal more nodes to seize.

> Then, iterate across the world.

I'd like to make a comment about living in a free country but I've yet
to really find one. I have some protection under the law but I realize
that it's only as good as my ability to pay for lawyers.

> And/or make anonymizing services illegal, so only criminals have anonymity.

This sounds like you need to ensure your government doesn't take this
route. Or find a strong economic case for anonymous communication.

> And there's a very good chance this is going to work.

I want to doubt you but I think it's possible. A serious crackdown could
happen to a specific piece of software or protocol. It happened in Japan
with Winny, right?

I think that Tor is different but only time will tell.

Regards,
Jacob