Re: What happens when I shut down my Tor-server?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 08:49:24PM +0200, Alexander W. Janssen wrote:
> for maintenance-reasons I had to shut down my server today. However,
> after shutting down the server I realized that there's still much
> traffic, although shutdown was 30 minutes ago.
>
> So, does the server tell it's peers that it's going down? Does it
> deregister? Or is that stray-traffic?

Did you shutdown by closing the listener / ORPort and reloading the config?

My understanding is that stops new connections, terminates existing
connections after 10 minutes of idle, and stops new data after about
an hour.

It's an oddity: If I'm shutting down, and I don't want to disturb
traffic, how can I manage that? If I'm an exit node, there's no way
(my IP is known to the remote site). If I'm a middle man, then in
theory Tor could rebuild a circuit to the exit node through a
different middle man, and move the data to the new circuit (it doesn't
at the moment).

My solution: Try to have at least an hour's notice and kill the OR Port.