Re: Tor takes too much RAM

Scott Bennett wrote:
     Does LINUX have vmstat(8)?  Or swapinfo(8)/pstat(8)?  In any case,
it must have ps(1), which should give some sort of breakdown of what tor
is using.

It does have vmstat. I should point out, however, that vmstat shows pretty much the exact same stuff that free does, only with less math done for you, a few important missing numbers, and a few added numbers which aren't really important in this case.

(This is a different server, which is why it has more RAM)
$ vmstat && free
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu---- r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa 0 0 2716 27472 143508 20876 1 1 1 3 3 3 3 12 77 7
Mem:        385840     358368      27472          0     143508      20876
-/+ buffers/cache:     193984     191856
Swap:       369452       2716     366736

Tor is currently disabled on that first server because I run other things on it that I'd rather stayed functioning :) My relatively small 90mb usage is pretty meaningless compared to the 1.5gb usage of others, though, and on my other computer it's using 136m RES according to top.

24579 zorba     15   0  148m 136m 4724 S  5.3 36.3 278:10.78 tor

     So how was your system affected?  Was there heavy paging going on?
Or worse, swapping?  Those are what one would expect when there is a lot
of contention for the available page frames.

It's not a local system, so I didn't have an easy way of seeing a hard drive indicator. I can tell you that I was having literally thirty-second-long delays just trying to use the command line, which went away when I killed tor. So I suspect it was swapping like a mofo.

Version 0.1.2.14 - I'm just updating with Debian (unstable, I suspect.)

-Ben