Re: Newbie needs help

     On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:18:52 +0100 Bob Williams
<security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Friday 24 July 2009 12:09:48 Bob Williams wrote:
>> On Friday 24 July 2009 11:58:09 DM wrote:
>> > Go to www.whatismyipaddress.com and compare the reported ip address
>> > with your assigned addressed.
>>
>> That shows my correct WAN IP address, as allocated by my ISP. I presume
>> that shows that tor is not working.

     Just a thought...when you look at the bottom of your firefox window,
do you see a small box that says, "Tor Enabled" in green lettering?  If it
has red lettering saying, "Tor Disabled", try clicking on it.

>BTW, when I open the ports in my router do I have to specify the UDP protocol
>as well as TCP?

     If you are running tor only as a client, you should not need to do
anything to your router.  If you are running tor also as a relay, then you
do need to set RDR rules for your ORPort and, optionally, DirPort.  tor does
not directly provide any sort of UDP service to the outside world, so no,
you needn't worry about doing anything about UDP at all in your router for
tor operation.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG