Re: Newcomer - Want only act as server between servers

     On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:53:11 +0200 "Bernd Schmelter"
<benn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Scott Bennett schrieb:
>> Hi Bernd,
>
>[...]
>
>>      It must be because it does appear to be working. :-)  However, you
>> didn't provide enough information for us to look for your relay in the
>> consensus or directory information to see how that looks.  I tried
>> searching on your email address in case you had used the same email
>> address in the ContactInfo, but didn't find it.
>

>ok, some more information
>
>- running on debian testing and installed via aptitude
>
>/etc/tor/torrc:
>
>------
>SocksPort 0
>SocksListenAddress 127.0.0.1
>Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
>DataDirectory /var/lib/tor
>Nickname bennsservtoserv
>Address chefe.dyndns.org
>RelayBandwidthRate 625 KBytes
>RelayBandwidthBurst 1250 KBytes
>ContactInfo Bernd Schmelter <benn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>ORPort 9001
>DirPort 9030
>ExitPolicy reject *:* # no exits allowed
>-------
>
>/etc/security/limits.conf:
>
>debian-tor      hard    nofile  8192
>

>There are good traffic now. Hope you can see the server by
>Nickname.  Hints for right configuration are welcome.

     Yes, I can, and it looks great.  Thank you very much for your
contribution!  Regarding the configuration information, the torrc
stuff looks fine to me, but I can't comment on the LINUX stuff.
     BTW, something you wrote earlier worries me a bit.  You wrote
that you only want your node to operate as a middle node.  You can
prevent it from providing exit service, as you have done with your
ExitPolicy statement, but I am not aware of any way to prevent it
from being an entry node.  You should be aware that clients *will*
connect to its ORPort and that it will respond accordingly.  Because
it is not an exit node, it should receive a Guard flag from the
authorities after it has been up for a few days.  Once it has a
Guard flag, it will receive much higher numbers of connections from
clients.  All such connections will be encrypted, however, and
should not be a cause for concern.  To an outside observer, such
connections really are not readily distinguishable from router-to-
router connections.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG