Server networking 101 - lack of documentation

Hi,

[Apologies for double-post - I sent this on tor-relays@ a while back but
did not receive an answer]

Iâm currently running an Ubuntu-based VPS with the end-objective of
turning it into a Tor node.

However, I lack knowledge about the basic, practical concepts of
networking within a server.

I understand Tor rather well and am very much at ease with Linux
administration. What I lack is a good understanding of how the network
comes together at the server level.
For example, I cannot visualize how my VPN and Tor would co-exist. My
understanding of ports, reverse DNS or internal tunneling is rather
fuzzy.

Is there any book or some on-line documentation that you would recommend
in this case ? This would help me avoid making obvious mistakes while I
jump aboard.

Thank you,

Olivier.