Re: [tor-talk] Downloading Firefox add-ons trough Tor. Safe?

On Jul 10, 2011, at 9:55 AM, hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm having a laptop that is Tor only, so it never connects to the internet without going trough Tor.
>
> Someone wrote that malicious Tor exit nodes may modify your downloads. So when I need to install the recommended plug-ins for Firefox, like TorButton and NoScript, and I do that trough the Tor network, is that safe?

HTTPS transport should prevent the type of modification you're talking about, so just double-check your URIs before downloading anything. For example, NoScript:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/722/addon-722-latest.xpi?src=browse

And TorButton:

https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbutton/torbutton-current.xpi

~Justin Aplin