Re: [tor-talk] blocked exit node IP because of spam

Hmmm,

Looks like I lifted a stone that was a home for a few critters.

It gave me some insight in the underlying issues. The biggest (and
still unsolved) issue seems to be the email protocol itself that after
all these years still allows 'strangers' to drop unwanted mail.

--------------------slightly off - topic area----------------
If someone email protocol dev is interested I'll have a hint how our
local snail mail solves this:
We have a sticker on the mailbox saying
NO - NO if you don't want the free local newspaper and no spam.
Or:
YES -  NO if you still want the newspaper but still no spam

Would be nice if Google and others added a NO button for ALL unsolicited mail.
And made an exception for addresses in the address book.

So in a way I agree with people who say. It is not TOR's problem.
But in my opinion these spammers still do more harm then good.
So ignoring them seems not the answer.

Would banning them with some kind of blacklist cost more or less
effort then ignoring them and loose time over and over because of
being blocked? (until someone, someday fixes the email protocol...)

I don't think it will help to ask those sites to whitelist tor nodes
since they blocked them in the first place to get rid of the spam in
an easy way (block the IP altogether). It would be nice if there was
some way to build a site that would give TOR and other anonymous
visitors extra privileges and more information then non anonymous
visitors. :-D

I'm not saying that being anonymous is the best way, but if
governments keep doing what they are doing then more and more people
will want to be anonymous. The pencil-pushers are still stuck in the
old ways of how things used to work, and are unaware of the future
visions of 'our generation'. So they will keep stressing to what they
feel is 'protecting' their outdated ways of working. And they will not
be able to see the great opportunities of todays technology and
probably will dig themselves in even deeper.

Another thing that might be an intermediate solution is to give known
(blacklisted) spammers a bunch of know exit nodes and let them spam as
much as they want.  Yeah a bit silly i agree, but then they still can
try their hobby and might still be succesful with their cunning
tricks, and thus TOR could use that info to invent mabye some new
stuff based on that.

As long as normal users can keep surfing in a normal way without being
ranked as being a spammer.

I hope this open-brainwave can inspire someone.