Re: [tor-talk] [Need quick help] 30+ mbps node taken down by host

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it looks like this might be an impossible problem to solve, since they followed it up and said it's forum spam and hack attempts, not just email spam. Basically, my node is pushing more traffic than most, so it's getting more abuse, faster (even though this is a tiny percentage of the overall traffic).

Here's what they sent me from their upstream provider:

The first email came in for a hack attempt from your IP:
Dear Sir/Madam,
We noticed something that resembles a RIP attempt from one of your IP addresses. Our system temporarily blocked the IP address. Please, contact the respective user. In case that there is a need for UPSTREAM content download, they can register and make use of our legal (xml) download interface ]UPSTREAM URL]. In case that the IP is used for search engine crawling, the user can inform us to whitelist the respective IP addresss.

52 requests during period Fri Jun 22 02:14:01 2012 - Fri Jun 22 02:15:01 2012 (GMT +1)
was denied at Fri Jun 22 02:15:01 2012 (GMT +1)
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR) AppleWebKit/534.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/7.0.514.0 Safari/534.7

Kind regards,
Open UPSTREAM Team

The second and all following emails (4 emails in total) came in for spam,
StopForumSpam report for ASN16265 (as of
25 Jan 2011)

IP Number XX.XX.XXX.XXX Link

Last seen at 22-Jun-12 04:06:45 Fri
IP reported 31 times (by 2 different sites) in the
last 24 hours
IP seen 34 times in the last month

Usernames seen from this IP
24H 1month Username
1 1 Eirena
1 1 Sheehan
1 2 Rafu
1 1 Barnabas
1 1 Rowland
1 1 Parvati
2 2 Chelsia
1 5 Gwen
1 1 Rudi
1 1 Etienette
1 1 Erianthe
1 1 Alzena
1 1 Starveling
1 3 Althea
1 4 Brayden
1 1 Carlen
1 2 Armorel
1 3 Brennan
3 3 Kinga
1 1 Rarna
3 9 Richard
1 1 Rendor
1 3 Stanton
1 1 Enola
1 1 Pankhudi
1 1 Bhrigu
1 1 Astrea
1 3 Pebbles
2 3 Sage
1 10 Ella
1 1 Brodny

Emails seen from this IP
24H 1month Username
4 27 e22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3 19 e32@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 22 e34@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 21 e27@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 22 e18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 25 e26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3 18 e16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5 22 e20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3 23 e19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3 21 e35@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 22 e33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 22 e25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 20 e31@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 28 e21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 21 e29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 23 e28@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 21 e24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3 19 e30@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4 26 e17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since the forum spam is all over http, I'm not sure there's anything I can do without crippling it for other users. Any ideas?

Thank you again.