Re: [tor-talk] TorBirdy Not Allowing Connections to Servers

Ethan Lee Vita:
> Pop servers (I don't use imap) don't connect while using TorBirdy, nor
> do SMTP servers. It just sticks at 'Connecting to
> pop.someserver.org...', not even asking for user password. SMTP comes up
> with Thunderbird didn't connect to SMTP error. TorBirdy did work until I
> upgraded from v0.0.4 to v0.0.9 and hasn't worked since (currently on
> v0.0.10). I've been trying to figure this out for some time, but after
> playing with Thunderbird settings, searching online, and updating to
> other versions of TorBirdy (trying again every few days), I've had no
> success and had to disable TorBirdy.

Are you trying to use pop3 without SSL/TLS? If so, I think this is
expected behavior - we didn't want anyone to insecurely check
pop/imap/smtp over Tor unless they *really* know what they're doing.

> Could someone share some advice on where to look for a solution? I've
> not seen any mention via online searches, this list, or the bug tracker
> regarding anyone else having this problem, so I suspect its something on
> my end.

It could be - feel free to document your expected setup here?

> I only have copies of github versions, so if someone could share the
> xpis 5 & 6, I could report on which version I started having problems with.

It's likely that you started to have problems when we forced the
connections to be secure by default.

All the best,
Jacob