Re: [tor-talk] Turning TOR on/off at will

On 13-07-22 06:33 PM, Feinberg Mark wrote:
> Dear friends,

>   Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
>   Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
>   Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
>     working.
>
> This occurs automatically as if TOR is my default search engine instead of Safari.
>
> How can I prevent this from happening?
>
> I am Not a "sophisticated user", and hope your reply will be simple to act upon.

The error message you quote is likely due to Tor being off or
inaccessible to Firefox.  Tor is a proxy of sorts, not a search engine.
Firefox and Safari are both browsers that can make use of proxies and
search engines.

To help you we need more information:
1) Did you see/follow the instructions at
   https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-osx.html.en
   ?
2) Are you running the TorBrowserBundle or a separate Tor installation?
3) What versions of MacOSX and Tor packages are you using?

You may find it faster to use the IRC chat for troubleshooting:
irc://irc.oftc.net#tor