Re: [tor-talk] TorBirdy patches for Mozilla Thunderbird

Lunar:
> adrelanos:
>> TBB can't become a Debian package. Debian's answer is "get patches
>> merged upstream" […]
>
> I don't know where you got that.

I don't find a web link. It was on debian-derivatives mailing list.

Subject: "Debian security / porting support and embedded codebases"

It was in context of Tor Browser.

adrelanos:
> The answer for such cases is "merge your patches upstream" - yes, but if
> upstream isn't interested?

Neil Williams:
> Then create a new upstream which can take the patches and package the
code *ONCE*.

...and thats totally unrealistic. "You can always fork it" is pure
theory. You can't fork giant projects such as Firefox. If you really
wanted, you created a competitive browser. In this context, thats like
to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The MATE desktop created new upstream, and they're still not in Debian.
The answer should be "Then create a new upstream which can take the
patches and package the code and surpasses the original project in
popularity, so Debian will take its code base, not the original one".

> Debian's policy is that the archive should not have duplicated code
> copies [1].

That's the policy I meant, which prevents this from happening.