Re: [tor-talk] OTFC IRC issues - new Tor friendly IRC network?

On 02 Jul (04:03:20), Matt Pagan wrote:

> BlueStar88:
> > 37lnq2veifl4kar7.onion:6697 is up and running fine.
> >

> When connecting with `screen torsocks irssi -c 37lnq2veifl4kar7.onion -p
> 6697` I get the error message:
>
> [(status)] [Jul 01 22:33:27] WARNING torsocks[26459]: [connect]
> Connection to a local address are denied since it might be a TCP DNS
> query to a local DNS server
>
> So that irssi reports
>
> Irssi: Unable to connect server 37lnq2veifl4kar7.onion port 6697
>           [Operation not permitted]

Irssi has a special way of resolving DNS query. It spwans a different
process to resolve and then sends back the result to the main thread
that connects to the server.

Using an onion address with irssi and torsocks is not possible at the
moment because we need a shared memory region between processes to
handle the "DNS resolution" of .onion.

I have a patch for that in a dev. branch but it's highly experimental
for now and for some reason does not work on OS X.

Once we have a stable 2.0 released, I will give it more work so it can
handle multi process DNS resolution.

Cheers!
David