Re: [tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

On 7/2/2014 2:21 PM, MacLemon wrote:
Hey!

On 02 Jul 2014, at 17:56, s7r <s7r@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Signed PGP part
On 7/2/2014 2:54 PM, MacLemon wrote:
The subject of this attracted my attention. Are we talking here about
a clear law, written black on white which states that it is illegal to
run Tor relays (or any kind of telecommunications proxy servers) and
that you are responsible for your user's actions, even if you provide
those services free of charge, therefor not required to collect any
data about your users? Is it actually a specific law which was
enforced here clearly stating that you cannot run Tor or open proxy
servers?
No, absolutely NOT. Actually, the opposite is the reality. Austria has something commonly called the “Provider's Privilege” (non-legalese term) which states that a service provider is not liable for the data transported over said services. No matter if the service is a free or paid one.

There is no law that I have ever heard of that prohibits running a proxy server or a Tor node in general or in particular. Providing an online service in Austria is mostly regulated by the Telecommunications law, E-Commerce law and data-protection law.

Playing Devils' Advocate: If Austria's laws are so protective of ISPs in general, why was this gentleman convicted? Unless he ignored the advice I've seen so many times, not to commingle your own internet traffic w/ the Tor relay traffic.

Even then, I wonder about a conviction, unless he had the worst lawyer in the world (which he may have).

There also could be other info which wasn't divulged. I'm not saying there is - just could be. Unless there was a REALLY bad ruling, in which case an appeal might have a good chance? of over turning it.
But I know nothing of Austrian law.

However, it seems strange that if he only was running a server & neither he / a roommate / house guest did anything illegal on a computer, using the same relay, how it ever got to a conviction.

If he nor anyone using the physical computer running the relay did nothing illegal, and he was still convicted (not just questioned or charged), that would seem to spell doom to other operators.

If that's what can happen, people should think twice & a 3rd time before ever risk running one.