Re: [tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

On 7/5/14, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/05/2014 07:30 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> HE WAS NOT CONVICTED BECAUSE OF RUNNING AN EXIT.
>
> Every single character of any of the emails in this thread are PURELY
> ASSUMPTIONS.

Thanks.

>> - Node operators (relays, entries and exits) are advised to be
>> especially careful with their exercise of their right to free speech
>> in all public forums. A healthy paranoia is recommended in such public
>> circumstances.
>
> Sorry: bullshit.

Sure. Just as well I did not start editing my ideas straight into the
wiki then eh?

:)

>> - Consider that everything you say in public (and everything on the
>> internet is public) will most likely be held against you in a court of
>> law, should you (in the extreme case) find yourself as a Defendant in
>> a court case where your activities are related to Tor.
>
> That is true for whatever you do, and in no way special to Tor.

Sure, that's a good sentence to add. Some things, when written/read
appear as self evident common sense (to some of us), yet it is evident
that some such things are not self evident and are not "just common
sense" to some people. At least not until they read them :)

>> Don't get me wrong: disclaimers and appropriate cautions are good things.
>
> Sorry, but especially the United States is way beyond crazy when it
> comes to disclaimers. Not before long and underwear comes with a DON'T
> SHIT IN YOUR PANTS label.

Agreed. The state of (lack of) self-responsibility within our laws is
a blight upon the human race. Nearly every mug who could "get out of"
a (most often unjust) parking fine or speeding fine or jaywalking or
public incitement or _ _ _ charge, by blaming someone else (the
government, the police, the courts etc), has done so, and so has
contributed to the degeneration of our laws with respect to self
responsibility, of conscience, of inner authority etc... Of course
those unjust laws themselves are also direct contributors to the
ongoing degeneration. We more and more become subservient to the
external authority of an 'almighty' "statute law".

Sad indeed.

>> Sorry, I'm ranting now...
>
> Yeah, me, too. Sorry.
>
>> Is it ok to prompt and suggest and debate potential FAQ/site
>> enhancements here on tor-talk?
>
> Sure! That's where they everything except code developemnt is supposed
> to be discussed! Final, discussed and reviewed patches to the website
> can be added to https://trac.torproject.org/ with the Website category
> assigned.
>
> Thanks for getting this started! I suggested a separate thread though,
> this one is a bit out of control and I bet many will have set their mail
> clients to ignore it by now.

Thanks.

Some one else who's still reading - please step up to start a new
thread, picking out the possbily useful FAQ additions in this thread
(adding your own personal magic as you are able).

Regards all,
Zenaan