Re: [tor-talk] Benefits of Running TBB in a VM?

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 10:05:10 -0700
Bobby Brewster <bobbybrewster203@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't understand this. If my Ubuntu system has a virus / rootkit / whatever then what I do on it is compromised.
>
> The VM is, in effect, a seperate OS. How would it be affected by the malware on the non-VM system?

First of all, malware at the host OS can capture and log all keypresses you do
in the VM system; can also make screenshots or video capture of what you do in
it, can also capture network traffic or even read memory of the guest VM.

Second, there is the issue of trust; your host system has unrestricted access
to the entire disk of all guest VMs it runs. If your host executes malicious
code, you can't be sure that your guest VMs haven't been accessed and tampered
with in some way. On the contrary, you should assume they HAVE been
compromised by the infected host.

--
With respect,
Roman