Re: [tor-talk] Fast and clean free provider for a couple of HTML pages

Now I'm getting somewhere.

Mirimir:
>> I did. I have no idea how to sort them out.
>
> Well, they're free. So just pick one at random, and try to sign up via
> Tor. Repeat until success. Then create a test page, and try to upload
> with FTP via Tor. Repeat until success. That's what I would do, anyway.

Yes, but I have no idea what the server is seeing from me. So I was
hoping for somebody who already went through this to share info. The
couple I have tried so far do not even use HTTPS for the control panel.
I searched for ssh support and it is a web console that simulates ssh in
the browser. FTP so far is plain and open. And to make things nicer,
they do email me the account and password.

>> So FTP is safe with Tor? What other protocols are fine over Tor? SSH is one.
>
> That is a very complicated question. See the thread on SSH, for example.
> As long as Tor has been properly configured for DNS lookup, any app that
> has a SOCKS5 option is probably safe. However, complex apps that use
> multiple protocols in the background (such as BitTorrent) are not safe,
> except perhaps for highly expert users. If in doubt, use Wireshark to
> test for leaks. If you're in a hurry, your best bet is to use Whonix.
> Anything configured by default is probably safe, and the documentation
> is excellent.

Yes.

But when most people ask the answers are like this. How's «properly
configured»? How do I know it is properly configured?

The wiki is quite messy. And you have old stuff and new stuff. None is
dated so the new stuff can be old as well.

I fully agree with you: complex apps are simply complex. I want basic
tools and for that I am ready to pass the GUI and go for the shell. But
how do I test for leaks?

Please understand, I have nothing against you: on the contrary, you are
the only one who answered me. But the whole thing is a mess. A year or
so I asked the Tails guys why doesn't my USB installed from VirtualBox
doesn't work. They were rather cold and the main guy said something
along the lines: it's not free and we don't support it. Yes, the USB
part of VirtualBox is not supported. Whonix needs it. And it's a 3Gb
download.

I feel so lost...