Re: [tor-talk] Fast and clean free provider for a couple of HTML pages

On 07/15/2014 06:29 AM, Red Sonja wrote:

<SNIP>

>>> But when most people ask the answers are like this. How's
>>> «properly configured»? How do I know it is properly
>>> configured?
>>
>> Ultimately, you know that when it works, and it doesn't leak, no
>> matter how you try to break it. Sorry :(
>
> No matter? Like using a credit card or just your real address?

When you're testing, you don't reveal anything that matters.

>> Actually, the "properly configured" part is easy:
>>
>> SocksPort 127.0.0.1:9050 DnsPort 127.0.0.1:53
>>
>> The hard part is the iptables rules. I'll post something useful
>> ASAP.
>
> Thank you.

OK, I have a basic set of iptables rules for Debian that block
everything except Tor. But they are undoubtedly not elegant, because
my iptables skills are iffy :( I also have instructions for leak testing.

However, the whole thing is far too long and involved to post on the
list. So, please see
http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/3578/how-do-i-setup-tor-on-debian-for-secure-use-as-a-socksproxy.

>>> The wiki is quite messy. And you have old stuff and new stuff.
>>> None is dated so the new stuff can be old as well.
>>
>> I agree. It's confusing.
>
> As all the info in this area is only on a temporary basis, see
> Heartbleed and the rest, there should be a large banner with tall
> bold red letters with the year: 2010 this is how you do IRC over
> Tor, 2012 this is how you do IRC...
>
>>> I fully agree with you: complex apps are simply complex. I want
>>> basic tools and for that I am ready to pass the GUI and go for
>>> the shell. But how do I test for leaks?
>>
>> You install Wireshark, and then capture on eth0. You should see
>> no non-local traffic except with your entry guards.
>
> Does it work with Wifi?

Yes, it should, but I'm not set up to test that.

<SNIP>