Re: [tor-talk] Android app: Torrific

CJ:
> On 07/25/2014 09:24 AM, isis wrote:
> > CJ transcribed 2.5K bytes:

> >> It's possible I push some pull-request later, yes.
> >> But, as said in some previous email, I'm not really sure it's Orbot job
> >> to set up firewallâ I rather prefer dedicated app for dedicated task â
> >> Orbot main task is, for me, connecting to Tor networkâ Basically, this
> >> just doesn't involve the firewall at all.
> >>
> >> But yeah, I know, users like "all-in-one apps" â who knows, once
> >> torrific is ready (i.e. no more broken rules, no more bugs like "craps,
> >> network's broken")â the devs may get some PR ;).
> >> Torrific is also, for me, a way to play with android without annoying
> >> other applications.
> >>
> >> To be honest, I'd rather contribute this function in AFWall than Orbot,
> >> as it already is a firewall manager (and not a bad one).
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> C.
> >
> > I agree that this should be done outside Orbot, for several reasons that I'm
> > not going to get dragged into again. And FWIW, Mike's blog post on Android
> > security specifically recommends setting up DroidWall (a similar AOS
> > iptables-based firewall app) with some bash scripts to log and deny all leaky
> > traffic from Orbot.
> >
> > My primary concern would be regarding whether Torrific's iptables rules are
> > applied ASAP after Orbot starts Tor, and I actually can't recommend anything
> > there (short of building a new initramfs which enforces starting the firewall
> > from there, early during the boot process).
>
> torrific works with an init-script blocking all the traffic â same way
> droidwall or afwall are working, same problem with older android versions.
> torrific starts on boot, maybe earlier than orbot, which is a good
> thing. it also uses orbot uid (as well as app uid) in order to set the
> redirects and allow orbot to go out.
>

> > DroidWall already has a mechanism for running user-specified scripts at
> > startup... Perhaps the most portable way to do what you're trying to do would
> > be to add a similar script-sourcing mechanism to AFWall? Then you could simply
> > maintain a repo of startup scripts which (hopefully) work for any Android
> > firewall app which supports this mechanism.
>
> problems with handmade scripts: how to catch app uid automatically?
> that's not userfriendly. Not at allâ
> That was the first version of this app: an init-script, a "lib" written
> in shell, and a script applying the rules, using a shell array as source
> for application information.

FWIW, in the shell scripts in my howto[1], I do this UID detection in
shell with dumpsys. Here's an example script:
https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/android-hardening/android-firewall/firewall-allow-linphone-udp.sh

The userinit problem I solved in a Cyanogenmod-specific way (I think).
Cyanogenmod has a special init script location in
/data/local/userinit.sh. For extra fun, I think it supports that instead
of more standard Android init-scripts, because the AFWall+ startup
script hack does not work on my devices. That's the main reason I
created this userinit hack:
https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/android-hardening/android-firewall/userinit.sh

> the app I've done lists the installed application requesting network
> access, you just have to check those you're wanting to allow network
> access and they are forced through orbot :).

That LinPhone example script above also has another neat feature that I
wish were available by default in a firewall app such as this. It allows
only the UDP activity of LinPhone to bypass the Tor proxy. This means I
can make TLS+SIP+ZRTP calls where the call setup and signaling goes over
Tor, but encrypted voice and video data goes directly peer-to-peer over
UDP.

I recognize the UI for supporting this in the general case is a bit
tricky to create without a lot of clutter, and it's questionable if you
want to expose this ability for all apps (because for non peer-to-peer
apps it can mean deanonymization to a central server). However, for this
specific case it is very handy, at least until Tor is performant enough
to support live, unbuffered voice+video data.

1. https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy

--
Mike Perry