Re: [tor-talk] Spoofing a browser profile to prevent fingerprinting

On 07/31/2014 11:44 AM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> Wow, I'm surprised no one has questioned this before or has a reasonable
> explanation.
> Why Panopticlick's total estimated entropy, *reported in the sentence
> _above_ their results table,* is much less than the sum of individual
> parameters' entropies - shown in the table:
>
> "_Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
> conveys *nn.nn bits* of identifying information_."
>
> To arrive at a total *"bits of identifying information"*, do they ignore
> characteristics with entopies < certain values?
> Because, in a typical test - w/ JS ENabled, the sentence may show total
> entropy of *13.xx bits.*
> In the same test,  the sum of entropies from their included table may be
> *34.xx* bits identifying information.
>
> Why is there such a huge difference?  To arrive at their "total," what
> do they ignore - and WHY?
> Or, do they take the results in the table & apply additional
> algorithms?  If so, do they detail that?
> Thanks.

I gather that entropy isn't always additive. I'd need to learn a lot
before saying much more about that. There's probably something useful in
https://panopticlick.eff.org/browser-uniqueness.pdf.

Having Javascript blocked is itself information, but I don't think that
Panopticlick is including that in the result.

> On 7/30/2014 9:12 AM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> On 7/29/2014 4:35 PM, Ben Bailess wrote:
>>> But here are some numbers that I just collected that
>>> perhaps could be of use to you. This test was done with the latest TBB
>>> (3.6.3) and Firefox versions on Linux (Fedora), with both JS on and off:
>>>
>>> FF (private browsing) / JS disabled = 16 bits (not "unique" - one in
>>> 65,487)
>>> FF (private browsing) / JS enabled = 22 bits ("unique" out of >4M
>>> samples)
>>> FF (normal browsing) / JS disabled = 15.98 bits (not "unique" - one in
>>> 64,524)
>>> FF (normal browsing) / JS enabled = 21.07 bits (not "unique" but one in
>>> 2,193,824 [roughly 2 matching entries in the sample]... so the other