(FWD) Re: Please review new control-spec.txt

[Forwarding since Sebastian isn't subscribed at this address. -RD]

----- Forwarded message from owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -----

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:59:15 +0200
From: Sebastian Wiesinger <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Please review new control-spec.txt

* Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-06-18 04:49]:
> Hi, all.  At the recommendations of a Very Experienced Internet
> Person, I've taken a hard look at the control protocol, and come to
> agree with the V.E.I.P that the protocol that shipped with 0.1.0.10 is
> a pain in the neck.  It is just binary enough to be hard to use, with
> no real benefit.  The solution is to go with a nice text-based
> protocol line SMTP and HTTP and everybody else use.

Oh thank god, I was just struggling with the old spec. One question about the
old protocol: Where does the authentication come from? I didn't find any
information about that and I thought that connections from localhost would
always be authenticated.

I wrote the following perl script for testing:

use strict;
use warnings;
use IO::Socket::INET;

my $string = "version\x00";
my $code = 11;
my $length = length($string);
my $message = pack('N', $length).pack('N',$code).$string;
my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(
        PeerAddr => '127.0.0.1',
        PeerPort => '9051',
        Proto    => 'tcp');

$sock -> print($message);

my $answer;
my $recvbuff;
$sock->recv($recvbuff, 1024);
print $recvbuff;

But all I get is:

Authentication requiredAuthentication required

Is there a trick or is my code just broken?

The new protocol looks really but I'll take a closer look when I have
time.

Regards,

Sebastian

--
GPG Key-ID: 0x76B79F20 (0x1B6034F476B79F20)
Wehret den Anfaengen: http://odem.org/informationsfreiheit/

----- End forwarded message -----